Sunday, November 25, 2007

Camera as Photo Album Tip

If your digital camera has a screen big enough to act as a photo album to show off your pics, then this tip may be helpful to you...

Even if you have a huge memory card in your camera, you still may be only able to store a few hundred images on it, and if you have that many images already on the card, there isn't much room to take a lot of new pics with it.

Well, I came up with an idea that is working very well for me....

1) First, whenever I take pictures, I always archive the full-res images to another media so I will always have access to the original shot.

2) Then, using my camera's browse and "resize" features, I resize all the images in my camera to the lowest resolution - such as 640x480. Even this size is probably higher then the native resolution of the LCD on your camera, so the appearance of the low-res images on the LCD is indistinguishable from that of the original high res files (except if you try to zoom in on any of the low-res ones).

3) My particular camera creates a copy of the original when I resize an image, with the copy being the low res. So, I then delete the hi-res version of the file.

After doing the above steps with all my images, I end up with the ability to store hundreds of low-res pics on the memory card, and becaue they take up only a fraction of the card's memory, I still have a ton of room left on the card to take a ton of new photos and videos!

In summary, by converting all the pics in your camera to low-res, they will now only take up a fraction of memory they once used, so it's then possible to keep hundreds of them in your camera to use your camera as a photo album (because the low-res images look identical to the original hi-res images when viewed on your camera's LCD screen) and still have a ton of room left on the card to take a bunch of new pics/videos. For example, I have a 6MP camera with a 2GB card. I currently have 300 low-res pics on the card, and still have 90% of the card FREE to take another 1000 hi-res pics.

No comments: