Sunday, October 28, 2007

Why I got a new Bluetooth headset

I just purchased a new Bluetooth headset even though I have two others.

The reason I purchased this one:
http://www.meritline.com/motorla-h300-wireless-bluetooth-bla ck-headset1.html

Is not because it only cost $19.95 with FREE shipping, it's because it runs on a AAA battery. Why would I want something that can't be charged? Because it don't need to charge it. What I mean, is that with all my "chargeable" headsets, I have to either keep it connected to the charger, or have to remember to keep it charged.

But, I wanted a headset that i could keep in the car, so if I drive somewhere and need to use one when I get to where I going, I could just pop it on my ear and I'm good to go.
But, if the headset was rechargeable, the rechargeable battery in such devices usually have a very short "self" life (time the battery will stay charged if sitting on a shelf), usually a few weeks. Thus, the only way to be sure the headset is charged when I need it is to keep it connected to it's charger *in my car* full-time - something that I didn't want to do or deal with.

That's why a headset based on a standard non-rechargeable battery is best for me. First, I never have to remember to keep it charged or keep it connected to a charger. All I need is a few spare AAA batteries in the car that i can swap out anytime the headset dies. Also, since they are AAA batteries, they have a shelf life of months. So, even if I don't use my headset for a few months, the battery level will still be very high.

Thus, a headset that uses regular batteries is a no-brain solution to my needs for a headset I will keep in the car.

1 comment:

johne said...

I buy new bluetooth headsets often. It's ridiculous. My new one has a boom mic and the quality, finally, is really really high. It also comes with a carrying case so hopefully, it will not get crushed in my pocket.